Mason jars are everywhere. For good reason--they are a meal prep superstar.
The salad below is a recipe I adapted from MJ and Hungry Man to make it 21-Day Fix/ Hammer & Chisel vegetarian meal plan friendly. It's got mixed greens, cucumber, tofu, broccoli slaw, and a spicy peanut dressing.
Ingredients to make 3 jar salads:
1 block Tofu--extra firm
3 cups mixed greens (or sub romaine if you prefer)
1 container of packaged broccoli slaw
1/4 C Almonds or peanuts for some crunch on top
For the dressing:
3 tsp peanut butter
4.5 tsp apple cider vinegar (or sub rice wine vinegar--I used what I had on hand)
3 tsp soy sauce or tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
a pinch of sugar (or Stevia)
a squirt of Sriracha
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Drain and pat the tofu dry. Cut it into 1/2 inch cubes and dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
3. Spread the tofu in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat (this ensures it doesn't stick and you won't need to add any oil.
4. Bake the tofu for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so. It's done when the edges are golden brown. And yes, this takes some time. I always bake a big batch of tofu to use throughout the week and while it bakes, I prep the rest of my food.
5. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. This dressing should make 3 orange 21-Day Fix/ Hammer & Chisel containers. Pour 1/3 of the dressing into the bottom of each mason jar.
6. Put a generous handful of the broccoli slaw into each mason jar, on top of the dressing.
7. Cut the cucumber in thirds and small dice each section. Layer the cucumber on top of the slaw in each jar.
8. Once the tofu has baked and cooled, toss with salt and pepper. Layer 1/3 (approximately 1 red Fix container) on top of the cucumber.
9. Top off the jars with the mixed greens or lettuce.
10. Sprinkle the nuts on the very top and secure your jar with a lid.
Notes: These will be fine prepped on Sunday and eaten throughout the week. The dressing tends to seize up when refrigerated, so I recommend taking the jar out of the fridge a few hours before you are going to eat it. Alternatively, you could stick it in the microwave (minus the metal lid, of course) for a few seconds just to loosen up the dressing. Then, dump it into a big bowl and enjoy!
I count this as 1 protein, 1 seeds/dressing, 2 veggies
If you try this, please let me know what you think!