This time, it's a specific pattern that everyone who participates will be making.
The Laurel Dress
It's a simple (ha!) shift dress with an invisible zipper and darts! Yikes. I've done an invisible zipper once before in a skirt, but that was in a class where I had someone there to show me how. Hopefully You Tube videos will be able to help me out if I get stuck. I've never done darts before, but the pattern instructions are pretty clear on that. I think a sleeveless version might be in order here.
The sew-along has some amazing prizes too! You can check out all the details here: The Laurel Sewing Contest
I have to carefully map out my steps and give myself some mini deadlines to get it done in time.
By April 1:
- Print the pattern and put it together
- Trace my size
- Make a muslin (I've never done this before, but I'd like to get the fit right on this one)
- Select my fabric (soooo many possibilities, there's some fabric paralysis going on right now)
By April 5:
- Buy invisible zipper
- Cut pieces out of my good fabric
By April 12:
- Make bias tape
- Begin constriction
By April 19:
- Finish construction
- Try it on and take photos
- Enter it in the contest :)
This schedule has a lot of leeway in it for good reason. There is never enough time to do much on weekday evenings. I should be back before Friday with some ideas and inspiration for my dress.