I'm actually making crib sheets.
My research* and my gut tell me that I should go as green as possible with our new baby on the way. I am going to listen--especially to my gut.
So, for the baby's bedroom, I went as green as I could while staying within the confines of a normal person budget.
Here is the mattress I chose:
The Naturepedic No Compromise Mattress
I got it a little bit cheaper on Amazon with free shipping.
The Baby Mod Olivia Crib
Also from Amazon with free shipping right to our door.
I based that decision largely on the research done over at Young House Love. The product notes say: "The solid wood baby crib is made from lead and phthalate free materials to enhance the safety and stability."
P.S. Thanks mom and dad for making the above purchases possible!! Baby is going to sleep soundly thanks to you (we hope!)
Next up was a bedding decision. I shared my nursery inspiration earlier--and I'm not really a "buy a set of bedding that is all match-y" straight from the store kind of girl. Don't get me wrong--some of those sets are CUTE. They just aren't me. And again based on my research, half of what you get in those sets is completely unnecessary. Bumpers are out, babies shouldn't sleep with any pillows or comforters or blankets or anything really. So that leaves sheets and a bed skirt. Oh, and did I mention I wanted organic cotton crib sheets?
At first all the organic cotton sheets I found were pretty blah. I didn't like any of the colors. The ones I did find seemed way too expensive. (I've since realized that the $30-$40 price tag on most of them isn't so bad when you account for the cost of the organic fabric and actual construction.)
Then along came Dana and her crib sheet tutorial.
I bought some organic fabric from Fabric.com and got started.
My fabric is all 44" wide. The tutorial tells you to cut a rectangle that's 45" x 67". Shit.
Oh well, what could I do? So, I left the selvages on and made it as close as I could. Normally you want to remove the selvages from fabric before using it on a project because they are woven differently and often have the fabric identifiers on them. But, since I was essentially just making an elastic casing around the edges, I figured it would be fine.
So I cut.
Once you cut the 45" x 67" rectangle, you fold it up in fourths and cut an 8" x 8" square out of the corner. (I'm not repeating the whole tutorial here--just the highlights. Go see Dana for the well explained version.)
Then you sew the corners together, right sides together.
Once that's done, you create a casing for some skinny elastic (1/4"). I don't have a serger, so I folded the fabric in 1/4" and then again 1/4" ironing really well and pinning whenever it got a little wonky around the edges. I also pinned a start and stop point for sewing. Just be sure your elastic will actually fit through the casing you've created! I have to say that I am terrible at cutting fabric. Mine was NOT even close to even. But I fudged it and the sheet still came out great! You can't seen any of the mistakes because they are under the mattress :)
One down. Two to go.
We are making slow but steady progress on clearing out the room. Still on the hunt for an affordable upholstered glider and a thrift store dresser to paint. And I have to make a bed skirt. Although that might wait until the baby comes because it would be a great place to incorporate some pink/coral if s/he turns out to be a girl. Or I may try and keep it clean with a mostly white background and maybe some tiny polka-dots or something. We'll see...
*I am recommending Superbaby by Dr. Jenn Berman to everyone I know. I really liked it's comprehensiveness. One of the 12 things to do to give your child a head start is to "go green." And for a green baby primer check out Raising baby Green by Dr. Alan Greene. I found this book to be a pretty basic guide--so not all that helpful for me, but that's because I already am aware of much of the info it contained. For someone just looking to make their lives more earth friendly, it's great.