A perfect drink for summer.
You will need:
Simple Syrup (sugar + water--see step 1)
1. Make a quick simple syrup by boiling equal parts sugar and water until all the sugar dissolves. Let it cool while you get everything else together. I usually do 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar. You don't need much.
2. Fill a rocks glass with ice. (You know--the smaller glass in your cupboard.)
3. Pour in 1oz of vodka (generally a shot glass worth, depending on the kind of day you've had) over the ice.
4. Add about 1 tsp. of the simple syrup (to taste--I prefer a little more).
5. Cut yourself a lime wedge and squeeze the juice into the glass. Throw the lime in too--why not?
6. Add a few mint leaves.
7. Pour ginger beer over everything. You should add about a 1/2 cup and this will be to the top of the glass if you've used a rocks glass and filled it with ice.
Ginger beer can be a little hard to find sometimes. It's usually in the health food section. Be sure it's ginger beer, not ginger ale, not root-beer.
Ahh--now go relax on your porch, deck, driveway...whatever floats your boat.